Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Post Weekend Check-in

Hey All,

Is anyone else ready for fall to hurry up and get here already?  I miss the days of sweaters, tights, and being able to spend more than thirty seconds outside without wanting to die from heatstroke. Obviously you all already know that the heat has been brutal, but I just wanted to complain for a minute.  You know how I am.

Now, on to updates!

We had planned on staining the floors this weekend, but that didn't happen.  You know why, and let's not talk about it for a while yet.  I'm still feeling a little tender about it.  So, with staining off the table, we moved on to completing a handful of smaller tasks.  Gotta get Kurt those sweet, sweet check marks for the list! ;)

We started with the chandelier for the dining room.  I'd been slowly working on getting it together since I scored it as a primo Prime Day deal.  I'll just run you through the pictures real quick...

The box on the right contained all the parts...its size wasn't promising...

After reading the instructions I started to worry.
So basically, you put 18 of these arms into the ball.  Easy enough, right? 


Electrician cat!

Boom.  Now on to tackling the wire situation.

Soooo now it's just a matter of connecting 18 white wires, and 18 black wires, all in a space as big as my fist.  


And finally, here's the finished product! Oh, what's that you say?  This looks like a different light?  Welllllll now that you mention it.  It turns out that when one of the reviews for the lovely Sputnik light said "It should come with an apology to husbands everywhere.", they weren't kidding.  The pieces wouldn't all fit together for the actual hanging bit, it was still 1000 degrees, my ankle was killing me from standing on the ladder, and we gave up.   There's no shame in that.  We went to Lowes, picked up this puppy, and we were done in no time.
In the end, I'm much happier with the brushed nickle finish, and I don't think I would've been happy with the black Sputnik light after all.  So, back to Amazon it goes!

In this picture you can see that with a lot of scrubbing (read a few hours on Friday night) most of the white paint came up off the floor.  I need to sand a few spots, but really, it's no big deal.

In other news, we switched out all of the outlets in the living and dining rooms!  Talk about another task that was harder than it ever should've been.  Woof.  Oh well. It's done, and that's all that matters!  That was definitely a little thing that makes a big difference.  Now all of the outlets are grounded, and have three prong holes, where most of them only had two before.  There's also the added bonus that these have never been painted-let alone painted multiple times!  (I really think someone should call those people and tell them it's dangerous to paint the outlets.  But instead I'll settle for a promise from all of you that you'll never commit such a sin. :)


The ceilings in the living and dining rooms have officially been spackled, sanded and painted.


I can never get over how good looking this guy is.  Insert wolf whistle here!
It'll come as no surprise to you guys, but I'm terrible at painting the ceilings.  It hurts my neck to stare up at them, I get whiny, it's really a bad scene.  Kurt on the other hand, never whines.  It's an admirable trait I'm hoping to learn someday.

Finally, we hung up the curtains in the master bedroom.  We're like three checks on the to-do-list away from being able to call it completely done!  I'm sure that will be a relief to some of you.  Once we get through a few more things we'll be ready to do a great big reveal!  I'm sad to report that the John Cena fathead is gone, but maybe I can find an action figure or something to honor his memory?  I'll work on that.

I'm starting to feel tired, but there's no rest for the wicked-or for those who tore most of an 1800 square foot house apart with little to no idea for how to put it back together... In five years or so, this is going to be a really nice house! It'll get there, I'm too stubborn to stop until is has!

K

Steve Miller Band - The Joker

No comments:

Post a Comment