Monday, April 3, 2017

What a Weekend!

Hey there everyone!

I know it's been a shamefully long time since I posted any updates...I wish I had a good excuse, but really, we just haven't been doing that much around the house.

We spent a few weekends working on cleaning out Kurt's apartment in Fort Wayne.  As a side note--why does moving always take more time and effort than you expect it to?!  And we spent a weekend days shopping for wedding miscellany.

This weekend, was the first weekend in MONTHS that we spent the whole weekend working on projects around the house.  We got quite a few things done, and we have quite a few things brewing!  So, I feel like I owe everyone some updates--here's where we are:

Wedding Updates:
We bought Kurt's suit and wedding band.  When we bought Kurt's ring, before we even left the mall he said, "I want to put it on, just to see how it feels." and he proceeded to wear his ring for the rest of the day. It may  not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but it totally melted my heart that he was so excited to wear his ring.  And I think it's a great sign for things to come!  :)

We also picked up gobs of artificial flowers, so we can start putting together bouquets, pew decorations, and whatnots.  I've been wondering if I should order real flowers for boutineers, and corsages.  Since we only need a handful, I think that we just might.  I want to make sure that the guys look good, and the moms feel special.  And me--I want fake flowers to make sure I don't attract any bees!  :P

We found a photographer, and have engagement photos scheduled for the end of the month!

With that, I think that we pretty much have everything for the wedding planned and taken care of!


We're also tackling some of the reception projects (even though we have way more time until those need to be completed).  A few weeks ago, after Stacey, my mom and I finished wedding dress shopping we picked up a stack of vintage plates to try and make cool, unique cake stands.  I have to say, I think that they look pretty cool!


 We collected a variety of things for bases.  Small cut glass dishes, a funky little drinking glass, an ice cream dish--you get the idea.  Then I just used some E6000 adhesive, and in about ten minutes we had the beginnings of centerpieces!


I really like that they're all a little bit different! I think I'll like them even more when they have pies on them!



House Updates:

Okay, these may not sound like big updates to anyone else, but considering that we haven't done much real housework in months, they feel like big updates to us!

First, I re-did the floor in the downstairs bathroom.  I can't seem to find a "before" picture, and I'm totally fine with that.  The floor was vinyl faux wood, and it was pretty crooked.  I didn't hate it, but it definitely needed to go.  Now the floor matches the upstairs bathroom, and the entry way.  Somehow, it makes this tiny little room feel bigger when you're inside.  Plus, I really like the way this stuff feels on bare feet.  I dunno why, but it's pretty satisfying!


The next big thing was staining, and getting the master bedroom door rehung.  My brother took the door off last spring, before the fire, and we've just been living without a door on our room.  It didn't really matter too much to us, but Kurt wanted to use the last bedroom upstairs to set up a home office, so I had to get the door out of there for him.
Hallway view of the door. 
 I don't think you can tell from this picture, but I spent nearly an hour stripping the door hinges!  I swear, I think there must've been 80 years worth of paint on them.  Now they don't really look like anything, but that's just the way it should be!
This is Kurt, laying on the floor, watching the cats be puzzled by there suddenly being a door where there wasn't before.  Are you imaging him meowing at the cats--because you should be.  

This weekend I also worked on getting the middle bedroom into a condition habitable to humans.  Again, it may not look like much, but getting the bed made, and the room pulled together feels like progress!



The room definitely needs some art, and the trim/doors still need to be done, but a human could stay here if they needed to!

Cats approve.  


This weekend, Kurt cleaned out both of our cars, and mowed!  And he spent a few hours putting together a desk for his new office.  I realize now that I didn't take any pictures of those things.  I'm really out of practice blogging!

All in all, it was a pretty great weekend!  Busy, but great!  We still have quite a few small projects to finish around the house, but they're pretty manageable.  And we know that we need to do some SERIOUS work on landscaping, but it's not quite time yet.  So for now, we'll work on knocking out the inside work.

A few weeks ago, at the Warsaw Home and Garden show, we also talked to a friend of ours that's a contractor about the possibility of adding on a garage--and maybe some other things!  ;)  So, our motivation to get all the other small stuff around the house is pretty high right now!  Hopefully that means more regular updates of progress around here!


Happy Monday!

K

PS - We're starting to discuss what our "first dance" song should be for the reception.  Right now, it seems like I can only think of songs that aren't great first dance songs!  If anyone has any suggestions--I'm all ears!

Neil Young - Walk With Me

The National - Green Gloves



No comments:

Post a Comment