Tuesday, June 14, 2016

This is what happens when you leave me unsupervised...

Hi All,

So we've been making some progress on some little things around the house: finishing touches on stripping the woodwork in a few rooms, final sanding, and lots of clean up.  But, you know me, my appetite for destruction must be fed....

This weekend, Kurt and I are heading to Cincinnati to see Katelyn, and pick up a new (to me) washer and dryer.  Obviously, this has me in a panic over the state of the laundry room.  Here's what it looked like before.  Please just ignore all the stuff.  This photo is from when we were at the house for the inspection, so now all this junk is gone, and I've replaced it with my own...which I conveniently failed to take a photo of.  Sorry y'all.


Before
You can't really tell in this picture, but all of these cabinets are metal.  I think that this room used to be the kitchen in the original house, so these would've been the kitchen cabinets.  Anyone who knows me should know immediately just how much I LOVE these metal cabinets. 

It makes me a little sad to think that there were probably matching bottom cabinets....it also makes me a little sad to see the baby blue paint that someone used on the mudroom off of the laundry room, but that's a project for another time.  


What I really wanted to do was to start painting the laundry room.  Mom and Kurt however had different plans.  They both forbid me from painting!  And then, they left me home alone....something tells me they won't do that again!

I couldn't help it.  I know I should've worked on a different finishing touches project, but that's not what I wanted.  I wanted destruction, and baby I got it!


I was out of control, and before I knew it, I'd taken two of the cabinets down.  I managed to only drop one on my foot. I swear they got heavier as I took them down!   

Apparently they were just held up by four screws in each cabinet, which were screwed into two 2x4s.  


And the 2x4s came out with just a quick tug with a hammer.  It really surprised me how easily they came down, but that made me optimistic for putting them back up!

I've pretty much settled on moving the other two tall cabinets to this wall.  After they're mounted, there will be about 16 inches of dead space, where the small cabinet won't fit.  I'm leaning towards adding a hanging bar on the far left! 


Apparently taking the cabinets down to move them wasn't enough to satisfy me.  No, no, I wanted more.  Sooooo I may have taken one outside to try stripping it. Ok, who am I kidding, that's exactly what I did.  And I squealed gleefully while doing it.

As always, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to paint these!  Ok fine, if they really were the kitchen cabinets, I'll accept it.  But begrudgingly. 

Personally, I really like the raw metal.  When they're painted, it's hard to tell that they're metal.  But without paint, they scream "Look at meeeeeeeee!  I'm a vintage metal cabinet, and I'm so cooooooooool!" (That's what they said, I swear!) 


I'll keep working on stripping them today after work.  If I can get them stripped tonight (Tuesday) then I can try to prime/pain the back wall tomorrow (Wednesday), and hang the cabinets on Thursday.  It's ambitious, but that's the current game plan!  What do you think? Is the raw metal too dark?  I'm thinking, as long as I pick a light color for the walls, it'll all work.  Or, worst case scenario, I paint them white.  That would still be better than the weird creamy skin color they were before! Hopefully my appetite for destruction is satisfied for the week!  Wish me luck!

K



Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick


No comments:

Post a Comment